NothingButKnit has posted another quiz, and this time it’s hand-knit socks!
- Do you knit/crochet socks? I absolutely do. They’re great tv and on-the-go crafting. I have crocheted socks before, but I prefer to knit them, now.
- If yes, how long have you been making them? I crocheted my first pair for Mom for Christmas… 2011? I think.
- What is your preferred method? Top down, toe up? Which needles? Do you have a preferred heel type? Ooh! It depends! I first learned to knit top-down on double-points, and then I learned how to do magic loop (for two at a time), and those were toe up. So, I’ll do either, but I’ve only used the needles I learned the technique on! I’m in the camp of learning a bunch of different heels, so no, or not yet.
- Have you gifted socks? Were they worn, loved and appreciated? My first pair was a gift! I will, for really special people. Also, socks were a dowry item, so my crafting friend group has determined socks fit under the sweater curse. Give at your own risk!
- Could you make nothing but socks for the rest of your life and be happy? If I really, really had to, probably. You all know variety is the spice of life, though.
- One of the most addictive things about sock knitting is the amazing selection of fingering weight yarn that is available. What is your favorite yarn for socks? Do you prefer solid or multicolor yarn? Do you have a fiber preference? I need a plied wool (preferably not merino), even better if there’s some nylon in there. Multicolored is preferred, but if I’m going through the effort to do a cool stitch pattern, I’ll use solid or tonal so that will show. BFL is probably my favorite wool for socks.
- Have you worn your knit/crocheted socks to the point of holes? Absolutely.
- Do you mend the holes? Do you throw the socks in the trash? Do you repurpose the yarn? Absolutely!! It’s so easy! I do a couple of rows of duplicate stitch under the hole, then I’ll knit a little patch (duplicate stitching the sides as I go), and a couple or rows of duplicate stitch above the hole. It takes half an hour, and I’ve never had an issue with these patches afterwards.
- Have you had a recipient return their socks when they get a hole? Do you mend the socks or just knit them another pair? Not yet, but PLEASE DO. Please let me mend it!! I don’t know that I’d have the heart to knit another pair of socks for someone who throws away that much hard work.
Be sure to head over to the original blog post to give your own answers!